How to Get Citizenship in Turkey | Turkish Citizenship Requirements
There are thousands of foreigners who want to obtain citizenship in Turkey every year. Like in every country, there are certain requirements needed to apply for citizenship in Turkey. There are few different ways to get a citizenship in Turkey in various situations.
The best way to get citizenship in Turkey is by buying a property. It will supply you a legal visa which is required for Turkish citizenship.
- Turkish citizenship by birth: The easiest way to get a citizenship is to be born in family with Turkish mother and Turkish father.
- Getting citizenship by decision of competent authority: The consent of a competent authority is required for a foreigner to get a Turkish citizenship. Even if foreigners comply with all the conditions, they will not be able to earn citizenship if the Turkish authorities do not approve. One of the conditions of getting a Turkish citizenship is to live in Turkey for 5 years with residence permit. Easiest way to get a residence permit and to extend it yearly after working permit or marriage is 'to buy a property.
- When you look at all these conditions in general, the easiest way to gain citizenship in Turkey is to own a real estate and receive residence visa to stay for 5 years. Buying property in Turkey is one of the best way for appliying visa requirements. Your visa can be renewed every year when you own a real estate in Turkey. In this way, you will have an investment and you will easily be able to have a residence permit. Another advantage of this way is to have the residence permit with your whole family.
- The restoration of Turkish citizenship: Those who have lost their Turkish citizenship one or another way you can re-apply to be a Turkish citizen. There is a section concerning those who have lost their Turkish citizenship because of political and economic reasons.
- Citizenship in Turkey by marriage: The most known and easiest way is to get marry with a Turkish citizen and get a Turkish citizenship. But marriage with Turkish citizen is not giving a citizenship directly - only after 3 years of marriage foreigner can apply for a citizenship with the following conditions;
a) Couple needs to live together.
b) Keep away from behaviors that will damage the marital union.
c) Should be no threat to the national security and public order.
- Getting Turkish citizenship with exceptional circumstances: There other exeptions for the people who can get a Turkish citizenship. For example: bringing Turkey into industrial plants or scientific, technological, economic, social, sporting, cultural and artistic area of outstanding service to the people sooner or later will be considered and reasoned proposal made in the ministries rights.
- “Entrepreneurs democracy and citizenship in Turkey by investment” Another way to do this is to make commercial investments in Turkey and open a business with working places. Entrepreneurs should get work permission.
- The person to be deemed essential to citizenship.
- Persons accepted as immigrants.
Qualifications of Turkish Citizenship
A foreign national may apply for nationalization if he or she meets all of the following conditions;
1) Applicant should be in the age of majority or can apply through his legal elders.
2) Have been resident in Turkey for five years without interruption.
3) Applicant should have proving documents of residence purpose in Turkey; you may check below purposes:
- Acquire have property in Turkey.
- Establish a business in Turkey.
- Invest in Turkey.
- Moving to Turkey for commercial activities or businesses.
- Working in Turkey with work permit.
- Marry a Turkish citizen.
- Be a close relative to a person who had previously obtained a Turkish citizenship.
- Having completed education in Turkey.
4) Having a disease constituting an obstacle in respect of public health.
5) Be a responsible, reliable person.
6) Be able to speak a sufficient level of Turkish language.
7) Have income or profession to provide for maintenance for himself/herself and his/her dependants in Turkey.
8) Have a respect to national security and public order.
The files will be examined and you will have an interview. If the commission approves your application, send the file to the Ministry of Interior. The decision of citizenship acquisition is given by the ministry. If decision ıs negative, the file wıll be sent to the governor.
Requirements of citizenship in Turkey for application:
- Original of the passport or other documents certifying citizenship of applicant. Or if the applicant is stateless, documents certifying applicant’s statelessness.
- Birth certificate.
- Residence permit.
- Documents confirming first time getting ti Turkey, how many time getting out of Turkey and all time living in Turkey. (stamp in passport, residence permit original and photocopy).
- If married, the official documents confirming the identities and family ties of the spouse and all underage children. (marriage license, birth certificate for children's).
- If you have any Turkish relatives - copy of the Turkish ID and address ıs required.
- Conformation of income.
- Certification of applicant’s ability to speak Turkish (a certificate will be issued by Turkish consular section upon a successful interview of the applicant).
- 4 photographs taken in last 1 month.
Frequently asked questions about Turkish citizenship
1) How to apply for citizenship in Turkey?
The acquisition of Turkish citizenship applications can be done by applying for citizenship in Turkey to the governorship of the place of residence in the country or to the foreign affairs office in abroad which can only be done by applying in person or with the special power of attorney. Applications made by mail are not accepted according to the citizenship in Turkey policy.
2) How do I learn in which stage is my application process after I submit my application of Turkish Citizenship?
You can get information about your latest situation from Republic of Turkey Ministry of Interior official website by entering your file number or identity information.
3) Can I get information about the Turkish citizenship number of foreigners?
The identity card given to foreigners in the Republic of Turkey is 11 digits and starts with number 9.
4) How long does the process of acquiring citizenship take?
The process is within a reasonable time if all the required documents are complete for the citizenship application. Otherwise, the time varies if there is any missing information.
5) Is it possible to gain Turkish citizenship depending on the mother or father?
According to Article 1 of the Turkish Citizenship Law No. 403 Turkish citizens born from the mother or father have the right to acquire Turkish citizenship.
6) My Turkish Citizenship application was rejected can I re-apply?
Under the terms and conditions of Turkish Citizenship Law No. 5901, you can re-apply to the governorship of your place of residence again.
7) Is it possible to keep Turkish citizenship while retaining the citizenship of another foreign state?
Yes, if you fulfill the required conditions for another foreign state citizenship, you can still maintain your Turkish citizenship as well.
8) Is it possible to get a Turkish citizenship by getting married to a Turkish citizen?
After 3 years of marriage to Turkish citizen and while living in Turkey you can apply for a Turkish citizenship.
9) How long I should live in Turkey in order to get a Turkish citizenship? In this period for how long I can be outside the country?
Uninterrupted residence is defined in the article 11 of the Act 5901. Accordingly “an alien who applies for the acquisition of Turkish citizenship should live in Turkey for 5 years and may stay abroad without exceeding six months within the residence period required for the application.
10) Where I can get my residence permit?
You can get a residence permit from the provincial police headquarters or Police Headquarters.